Friday, July 8, 2016

Wicked Watchi Charters in Hernando Beach


I was super excited when I got a message asking me if I wanted to go scalloping from a very good friend that I hadn't seen in years.  Of course I was down.  I am a water girl at heart and don't mind getting my hair wet, well most of the time.  Don't let Brian see that sentence.  He through me in water right after a very pricey hair appointment and lets just say it's possible that I overreacted.  Anyways, Captain Cary runs Wicked Wachee Charters to take people out on fishing and scalloping charters.  He is a Captain firefighter by trade but also runs these truly amazing charters on his time off.  He will make sure your group not only has an amazing and safe time but you will also be taken to the right spots to find whatever it is you want to catch.

Before the snorkeling adventures began.

I was lucky enough to go on Wicked Wachee Charter right as scallop season arrived on June 25th.  I got to see some old friends and meet some new ones. It was a fun day full of snorkeling, scalloping, sun, good music and a few cocktails too.  We left at 10 a.m. and headed out to Captain Cary's scallop destination.  The waters were peaceful and warm, just the right conditions for me to have no reservations about jumping in. We put on our snorkel gear, grabbed a bag to hold our loot and into the water we went. 


Snorkel fins in the air.

It was the perfect day for scalloping.  It was sunny with calm waters.  I could see many other boats off in the distance but they looked like they were all close together fighting over the same scallops; while we had absolutely no competition and plenty of scallops to ourselves.

Snorkeling for scallops.

We were in waters about 8 feet deep so diving down to the sea floor where the scallops lay was not hard to do.  Many of the scallops laid right out in the open but once you grab them, these sneaky little shells flutter away and you have to catch them back in your hand.    

Scallops.


A bit later I lathered on some sunscreen, made a martini and caught some rays while the guys did not detour from filling their bags to the brim.  When they brought the bags on board, I confiscated them for pictures so it looked like I had worked diligently catching the scallops instead of taking some time off sunning.  

The bag of scallops are mine!

The guys also found some time to give spear fishing a try. 



Other beautiful sea creatures were spotted as well.  There was a sea turtle, many different fish and a couple of starfish.  The first one was quite firm while the other starfish had soft arms and we mistook it for an octopus at first.



Having some fun doing the move from Titanic though it looks like I am about to dive in.


Snorkel Fins and bucket of scallops.

Two big buckets filled to the brim with scallops!  After we got back to the dock I gave shucking scallops a try.  I love trying new things but will leave this tedious task for the guys.  I threw a surfboard in the water and swam around until they were finished.  Then they were cooked in a rotel, macaroni and cheese mixture of deliciousness.  I didn't stop to take a picture before digging in.


It was such a fun day that I could do again and again but scallop season does end on Sept 24th, at least for this year.  If you would like to take a charter out with Captain Cary, check him out on facebook or send a text.  Half day charters are only $250!  Gather up the family and friends and have some fun.

Contact Captain Cary:
Be sure to tell him you read my post!
(813) 397-9167

1 comment:

  1. Very good points you wrote here..Great stuff...I think you've made some truly interesting points.Keep up the good work. best snorkeling destinations

    ReplyDelete